MOTHERS LOVE A SPECIAL TREAT
I often think we make our lives very complicated and yet a simple gesture goes a long way.
Mothers all around the world will enjoy being the focus for the day.
The handmade gifts from the children are always the best – I still have a memory box of goodies from my children, some are interesting to say the least but Mothers don’t mind what the gift is BUT the thought that goes into the love.
I found this beautiful cake recipe in the MINDFOOD mag May issue and it was the Pink Lemonade Sherbet that pushed all the buttons.
I have never made sherbet but remembered how my children loved those licorice sherbet bags back in the day so thought I would share this.
Make it for your children as a Mums treat.
LEMON LOAF with CREME FRAICHE ICING and PINK LEMONADE SHERBET
– A little modification in case you cant source the rose petals
- 150 gr butter, chopped and softened
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 tabs grated lemon rind/ zest
- 2 eggs, always room temperature
- 2 cups SR flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) creme fraiche OR SOUR CREAM
- 1 tabs lemon juice
- 1 tsp rose petals ( thought about this and if you can’t find the dried rose petals maybe a little rose water or decorate with pink edible flowers)
Creme Fraiche Icing
- 1 1/2 cups creme fraiche OR SOUR CREAM
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
Pink Lemonade Sherbet
- 1/2 tsp citric acid
- 1 tabs icing sugar
- 1 tabs raspberry jelly crystals
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 180 / 160 fan forced – line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside
- Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest with a beater for 5 mins until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs, one at a time until incorporated
- Add the flour and creme fraiche in alternating batches, starting with the flour until combined
- Stir in the lemon juice
- Spoon into loaf tin – bake for 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean of cake batter
- Cool in the tin for 15 mins – then turn out onto a wire cake rack and cool completely
- ICING – cream the creme fraiche and icing sugar with a beater until light and fluffy
- NOW THIS IS THE STAGE YOU COULD ADD THE ROSE WATER IF YOU CANT FIND THE DRIED ROSE PETALS – JUST A COUPLE OF DROPS TO ADD THAT ROSE FLAVOUR
- Spread the icing on the loaf cake and refrigerate for 5 mins, or until set
- SHERBET – mix the citric acid, icing sugar, jelly crystals and bi-carb together
- TO SERVE – use you best cake plate – sprinkle the sherbet and rose petals over the cake and ENJOY !
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!