We are always pleased to have GARY from KOOKABURRA ORGANICS join us each month for 3 years +
To share the secrets of gardening is a wonderful and generous gift to us all and in this time of ‘ a little shake up’ we could all use the wisdom.
Throughout the workshops and fb times I am sure Gary has heard all these questions before and isn’t it a perfect world when we can present to you a face book site to help with the isolation gardening questions – so scroll down for the details and enjoy the list of questions I chatted with Gary about.
I know I was so disappointed when my leek seedlings didn’t venture too far from the soil level – FORGOT the hessian bag trick??!!!
Just a few of the regular questions and if you want to add remember firstname.lastname@example.org for a direct line to our monthly chat with Gary
Kookaburra Organics has created a special Face Book site to counteract the endless list of questions below: (and they are mostly from me 🙂 🙁 )
- why aren’t my vegies responding to all my garden love
- when do I plant the seedlings
- should I even consider seedlings
- what is happening with this wind and how do I protect my crops
- what is that foreign bug munching my greens
- how can I use my kitchen waste on my garden
- when can I expect produce
- I feel like its not working
- how do I gain the CONFIDENCE to garden
- what is the best mixture to boost the compost bin
- can I just add sugar cane mulch to the garden
- when do I water
- how much water
- when do I fertilize
- who do I buy my seedlings from
- what area am I in – PROBABLY the most important of all
- Is it worth it! – I just love is question – more below
GO TO the Face Book site:
Growing Food int he Special Period during Coronavirus Pandemic #stayhome
Is it worth it ?
The benefits of fresh air and exercise over-rides the success in my opinion. Don’t you just love the wander, the pottering, the exercise and more. I think this is the biggest enjoyment of having a garden.
To be able to pick a plant to place on your windowsill lifts the day.
- full MOON is coming this week – great for planting the root vegies
- this fluctuating weather is confusing for the plants
- cold nights – bugs gone
- time to get the winter crops in
- when watering
- South west SW cold and drying
- Eastern E moist air
- Pests love the weakest crops
- More foliage – dries out quicker
- Cold snap – water in the morning to the base of the plant NOT on foliage
- Plant root vegies in the Moon cycle directly to the soil
- Don’t fertilize root crops – you want the energy to go to the root bulb
- Plant potatoes away from other nightshades – eggplants and tomatoes
- If you do plant seedlings – remember to calculate 4 weeks back to determine the perfect planting time
- Use your coffee grinds (yes even the pods – open up and empty) to use as a slow release nitrogen which also deters slugs and snails
LOVE to have feed back and all the energy we put into our show is worth it when you respond.
STAY SAFE ………………….ENJOY YOUR GARDEN ………………..and DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK THE QUESTION???????